Post-Decree Issues

Post-Decree issues are those after the divorce is final. They can related to the modification of Parenting Time, the modification of Child Support, the modification of Parental Responsibilities or even unclear/unaddressed issues in the divorce decree.  Most often, a Petition or Motion is filed by the person who is seeking relief. The opposing party must receive notice of said Petition/Motion with the initial court date that has been set. The court may not address the Petition/Motion on the first court date in order to give the other side time to respond, unless the matter is found to be an Emergency. The parties may also need to engage in Discovery, the exchange of documents/information. If an agreement is not reached, the Court can either conduct a Pre-trial conference to give a recommendation or may conduct a Hearing to make a ruling. The amount of time post decree matters take or the amount it will cost varies greatly.

In addition, there is oftent the need to draft a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) or a Qualified Illinois Domestic Relatins Order (QILDRO) to divide retirement after a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage is entered.  This can often be completed expeditiosly, depending on the retirement provider and the terms of the division in your Marital Settlement Agreement.


Contact a Family Law Attorney today to discuss your case »

Free Initial Consultation,  847-557-1517.